Saturday, May 2, 2015

The World of Prodigy

Writing a book is hard.  This book will be both a setting and a set of rules, and constantly switching my attention between each one is rather demanding.  Just to get some of these ideas out of my head and onto the page, I threw some words onto a computer and saw what stuck.
I then didn't touch it for 6 to 9 months, and looking back I realized exactly how much editing I needed to do.  Writing a book is a lot of work.  There are currently 90ish pages of text in the book.  I need to go through and reword it all and clean it up - stuff has changed since I wrote it, either my conception of a place or some events have been added/removed from their history, rules didn't work in playtesting, etc.  As I begin to tackle some of the editing work, I thought it might be good to write down as condense a summary of this world as I could, as eventual backmatter for the book.  Or as a teaser, to show people some of what I'm working on.  So, this is it:


Some of the survivors, fleeing the magical apocalypse caused by their theocratic empire, find the origin of all life, the Jungle of Sahargeen.  North of the jungle, the brutal desert nomads pillage the Elf-worshipping city-states and unite to conquer the world.  The child-like Bairnedred emerge from the jungle to cavort amongst the survivors, while the warlike Equimeni jealously guard the land made barren by the apocalypse.  After a fishing expedition gone wrong discovers the land across the Sea of Shadows, the learned Archivists make contact and teach them the ways of magic. 

After conquering the city-states, the desert nomads declare themselves the Tarluskani Empire and invade the lands south of Sahargeen.  The Tarluskani's gaze then extends to the east, the Equimeni Wildlands, and towards Arein, the land south of the Sea of Shadows.

The pirates of Korg control the mouth of the Sea of Shadows, hindering the Tarluskani plans.  Terrorists in the city-states and the conquered Southerner territories conspire to overthrow their Tarluskani overlords.  And the promise of great mystical power lost in the ruins of the Azintheen Empire far to the east haunt many a dream…
 
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment